cal-on-off menu-on-off

Cemetery portal

Hřbitovní portál

The representative renaissance cemetery portal from 1588 is the second oldest monument of Bakov nad Jizerou. It is situated in front of the area of the former cemetery with the St Barbara’s Chapel. The portal was erected during Johannes of Wartenberg.

The upper part of the portal is sculpted by plastiques of a skeleton with a sandglass (symbol of death) and a youth (symbol of the human genius). The middle part of the pilaster bears an inscription about the building of the gate and there is the Vartenberg coat of arms in its upper part (maiden paddling in a boat). 

The wall adjoining the cemetery portal was built in 1614. In 1676 the communal poorhouse increases on the left of the portal.

Hřbitovní portál

Hřbitovní portál

 
Hřbitovní portál 1588

Hřbitovní portál 1588

 
Hřbitovní portál

Hřbitovní portál

 
Hřbitovní portál

Hřbitovní portál

 
Hřbitovní portál

Hřbitovní portál

 
 
Created 18.1.2021 10:05:28 | read 233x | magdalena.bulirova
2